TravCon is the largest conference for traveling healthcare providers in the United States. It is an annual event held in beautiful Las Vegas. This year the official conference dates are Sept. 26-29, 2021 and it will be held at Paris Las Vegas Hotel & Casino. Whether this is your first or fifth time attending TravCon, here are our pro tips to help you prep for your experience.
First up: Register early for the conference
If you are reading this and have not bought your ticket already, please don’t delay any longer. Ticket sales are hot this year and we anticipate selling out. You can go to https://www.travconreg.org/Home to sign up.
Next, get your hotel room and transportation
2021 is a much different year for Las Vegas than previous years. The pent-up demand for Americans to get out and travel has flooded Las Vegas with tourism. In turn, the prices of hotel rooms, taxis, Lyfts, and flights have increased.
We highly recommend securing your hotel room and flights now. We still have some discounted rooms available in our room block at Bally’s, which is attached to the Paris Hotel, and an easy 5-10 minute walk to the convention center. You can find more information about our room block here.
We also recommend trying to find a roommate in our TravCon Room community on Facebook.
Also, when you arrive at the airport, you can get a taxi, shuttle, or rideshare to the hotel. We recommend using a rideshare (Uber/Lyft) because they are affordable and time-efficient. From the baggage claim at McCarran Airport, you can follow the signs to the Uber/Lyft pick up which is on the second floor of the parking garage.
While TravCon officially starts Sept. 26, the unofficial events start much earlier. In fact, travelers start arriving in Las Vegas 2-5 days before the conference begins to enjoy the pre-conference events and to catch up with friends. This year, we have many travelers who say that they are arriving as early as the 22 or 23.
Some of the pre-events so far include a hike to Mt. Charleston (currently sold out), a golf tournament, a wine tasting night, a boat party, and breakfasts.
The pre-events for TravCon start as early as Wednesday, September 22nd.
Request time off
This is your reminder to make sure that you requested off for the days of TravCon! Whether it is your current or next contract, don’t delay and get that time off. You can also request to block your shifts earlier and later in the week to allow you to travel while still working your shifts.
Finally: Pack smart!
Packing for TravCon is a little different than packing for other conferences. Here are some things that we recommend you bring:
- Comfy shoes! Everything in Las Vegas is a walk, even if it looks like it is very close.
- Layers. The AC is blasting inside and it’s a (literal) desert outside.
- Water. Water bottles in the hotel cost a fortune ($5+ a bottle). Either bring water with you from home if you drive or if you fly you can buy gallons of water at CVS in front of the Paris Hotel.
- Bring an extra bag for swag. You will get spoiled by the exhibitors and will need extra space to bring all of your swag gifts home.
- Swimsuit for the pool. If you plan to go to the pool parties, don’t forget this one!
- Nice outfit for the AfterParty. We have an official AfterParty at Drai’s and it’s dress to impress! The theme this year is sequins!
- Business casual clothes for the conference.
- Resume. We have a resume center where experts can review and consult you on your resume.
We hope this helps you to prepare for TravCon 2021. It has been a long 2 years apart from our TravCon family and we look forward to seeing familiar faces and new ones in September.